Request for updating libnet-sip-perl and libio-socket-ssl-perl

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 23 08:59:20 BST 2008

Steffen Ullrich <Steffen_Ullrich at genua.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the author and maintainer of the Net::SIP perl module.
> You ship with hardy a version 0.39, which isn't the newest.
> In the mean time a lot of bugs got fixed so that it would
> be a good idea to update it.

the very first prequisite for this is to have a up-to-date version in
our development version. Let's check:

>> rmadison libnet-sip-perl
libnet-sip-perl |     0.39-1 | hardy/universe | source, all
libnet-sip-perl |   0.45.3-1 | intrepid/universe | source, all

this means that intrepid already ships a much newer version. However we
have rather strict rules for updating stable releases, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates for details.

Since there are no bugs filed against that package, I currently don't
have the impression that this package qualifies for an SRU.

> Same is true for IO::Socket::SSL, where I'm also the maintainer.
> The shipped version 1.02 is over 20 month old and in the mean
> time there were a lot of bugfixes and some features added.
>
> Because I'm using ubuntu myself I would be willing to help
> maintaining these packages or maintain them myself.

You could subscribe to bug mail to both packages and start receiving bug
reports of the package. You could also provide updated packages
for hardy in your private PPA and encourage users to add your PPA to
their /etc/apt/sources.list.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4