Freeze exception for 'fai'

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Wed Sep 3 15:06:59 BST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 15:30 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2008 10:53:18 Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > Stefan Potyra <sistpoty at ubuntu.com> writes:
> > > Standing freeze exceptions:
> > > To request a standing freeze exception, an email should be sent to the
> > > Ubuntu MOTU mailing list for discussions. It is granted, once three
> > > members of motu- release have given their ACK.
> > >

> > > Per-Package delegations:
> > > In case of need, persons requesting per-package delegations should sent a
> > > mail the MOTU mailing list with the request, so that it can be discussed
> > > there.
> >
> > I'd like to request a freeze exception for the 'fai' and
> > 'live-initramfs' package.
> >
> > The reason is that I didn't merge fai from debian yet. It does not
> > really make sense testing fai before ubuntu development has reached a
> > freeze state, since we are talking about an installer. We need a
> > somewhat installable system in order to properly test and use fai.
> >
> > The exception request includes 'live-initramfs'. It is only used by
> > 'live-helper' and 'fai' for enabling systems to boot from an read-only
> > medium, such as an CDROM or ro NFSROOT. it has been developed as fork
> > from our 'casper' package.
> >
> > I propose Stephan Hermann and myself as Per-Package delegation for this
> > set of packages with the purpose of having 'fai' in a useable state for
> > intrepid release.
>
> While I would agree to grant a freeze exception for both right now, quite
> frankly I don't see the point in granting a standing-freeze exception or a
> per-package delegation. Do you really expect that there will be new (non  bug
> fix) upstream releases after the 'lenny' one?

The problem is, we don't have the new version in Ubuntu yet. We can do
that only after Ubuntu reached a "at least installable state". Then we
can see the bugs and changes we need to fix especially for Ubuntu.

And sometimes, it can be, that FAI fixes bugs with removing one feature
and introducing a new feature, even if the major release number doesn't
change, it can be a problem to push those changes to the archives after
freeze.

Regards,

\sh
--
Stephan '\sh' Hermann           | OSS Developer & Systemadministrator
JID: sh at linux-server.org        | http://www.sourcecode.de/