REVU - Cleanup of the "Needs Review" section

Kasper Peeters kasper.peeters at aei.mpg.de
Sun Nov 2 22:27:20 GMT 2008

> I believe there are many in the Ubuntu community that feel more
> comfortable setting up packages for inclusion in Ubuntu as opposed
> to Debian, but that may be because they just aren't really aware of
> the Debian process.

Yes, I think this is a major issue. Ubuntu just feels much friendlier
to many people.

(In addition, I had the experience of a Debian sponsor bailing out
half-way through the process, with no-one else stepping in. That's
when I decided that perhaps the Ubuntu route would be less painful).

So if you decide that people should take their packages on REVU and
submit them to Debian, I guess that many would appreciate some help
finding a Debian sponsor, rather than being dumped in unknown
territory.

> There may be a package from months ago that would greatly benefit
> the community, and one that is a week old may only be used by one
> user.

Keep in mind though that quite often the people who would benefit from
a package being accepted are not the ones to hang out on REVU. That
is, I suppose, another reason why some packages simply never get
reviewed: even though the packager knows that his work would be
appreciated by many others, none of those potential users do reviews
on REVU.

Cheers,
Kasper