Proposed Features for Launchpad Bugs 3.0 - call for help!

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sun Aug 24 23:04:21 BST 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:28:02 -0300 Christian Robottom Reis
<kiko at async.com.br> wrote:
>On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 02:41:22AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> I idled in #Launchpad for quite somee time after the latest U/I shuffle.
>> saw a lot of people show up to complain.  I only saw two people (not
>> involved in Launchpad development) speak in favor of it.  I've heard a
lot
>> of negative sentiment about it in Ubuntu channels too.
>
>I also hear a lot of negative commentary about pretty much every piece
>of software, daily -- including Ubuntu. It's a fact that if you
>have a wide enough user base, changing any piece of software is
>disruptive. I know people are inconvenienced; that's not helping me
>much to do avoid doing so in the future.
>
>> Since your process did not seek feedback on these gloabal issues, I find
it
>> unsuprising you didn't get much.
>
>It didn't? I'm actually actively collecting global issues as I talk to
>everybody in the community. It just doesn't go into the per-team
>priority lists (though it's pretty much the only thing I've sent out in
>list form) -- because it is actually cross-team.

Well there was discussion about U/I and performance on both MOTU and QA
(the only two places I participated) and I eecall people suggesting we
should comment on either because we weren't asked for comment on them in
the list.  It's clear to me that at least in those groups your methodology
undersamples dissatisfaction in thses areas.

I can deal with a U/I of pretty much arbitrary complexity and oddness if it
is stable.  Launchpad is not a pre-1.0 developmental tool that developers
should feel free to arbitrarily change.  I actually prefer working with
Bugzilla currently because even though it has a horrible U/I, I at least
consistently know how it works.

As far as user inconvenience goes, I'm lacking any sense that that is a
concern for Launchpad developers.  Most of the feedback I see in the thread
and similar ones is 'please give us some stability and focus on fixing the
bugs in the U/I and making it faster'.

Personally, I think the user feedback that I'm seeing is very clear.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to match up with what is already decided so
it will likely be discounted and ignored.

Scott K