Why does mercurial package on Ubuntu suggest python-mysqldb?

Matt Mackall mpm at selenic.com
Tue Aug 5 17:23:54 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 08:23 +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> Peter Arrenbrecht wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > The package mercurial 1.0.1-2~hardy1 suggests python-mysqldb. I cannot
> > imagine why, and a quite poll on #mercurial turned up nothing. Any
> > pointers? I this plain wrong?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -parren
> >

> Hi,
>
> >From the changelog[0] (note that this package hasn't been modified in
> Ubuntu and therefore changes are Debian's):
>
>    [ Piotr Ożarowski ]
>    * New recommended packages:
>      + python-mysqldb (hgext/bugzilla.py)

Looks like someone at Debian is a bit unclear on our notion of
'extension' and ships it with all extensions on by default.

Extensions were -created- to be off by default. If we'd wanted their
functionality on all the time, they wouldn't be extensions in the first
place! Some provide unsafe functionality that break Mercurial's core
data integrity rules. Some provide complex new commands that make it
easy for new users to shoot themselves in the foot. Others silently
change Mercurial's operation in nonstandard ways. Others support bad
ideas that we strongly wish to discourage (ie keywords). Others are
undersupported and just plain buggy. Really, they need to be off.