shlibs problem while building package

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 25 21:45:15 BST 2007

Hi,

Am Dienstag 25 September 2007 19:24:15 schrieb Marc Franquesa:
> Hi!!!
[..]
> (libinsight-toolkit-2.8.1-0ubuntu6)

> [...]
> libitkvnl_algo 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
[..]
> The problem appears when I try to build a single binary package that
> uses the library above.
>
> The problem is that the single binary package don't state that depends
> on the library package. I think that its some problem related with
> shlibs because while building the package appears many errors like
> these:

> [...]
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for
> libITKAlgorithms.so.2.8 dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency
[..]

> Some hint, about what's wrong?

In short: you put the wrong thing in the shlibs file in correlation to the
binary packages you created. The dependant package looks for
libITKAlgorithms.so.2.8 from SONAME, however the shlibs file contains
libitkvnl_algo[.so.2.8].

I suggest that you take a look at the debian library packaging guide [1],
because it will give you more and better answers than I could.

Cheers,
   Stefan.
--
[1]: http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html