shlibs problem while building package

Marc Franquesa marc.franquesa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:24:15 BST 2007

Hi!!!

I created a deb package for a library
(libinsight-toolkit-2.8.1-0ubuntu6) that generates (using
dh_makeshlibs and dh_shlibdeps in the rules file) its
libinsight-toolkit.shlibs. This file is something like this (only some
lines for sample):

[...]
libitkvnl_algo 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
libITKznz 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
libITKNumerics 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
libITKFEM 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
libitkvnl 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
libITKniftiio 2.8 libinsight-toolkit
[...]

The library package (and devel package) installs fine and works well.

The problem appears when I try to build a single binary package that
uses the library above.

The compilation success and i generates de correct deb packages for
the binary. All works.

The problem is that the single binary package don't state that depends
on the library package. I think that its some problem related with
shlibs because while building the package appears many errors like
these:

[...]
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for libITKAlgorithms.so.2.8
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libITKAlgorithms (soname 2.8, path
libITKAlgorithms.so.2.8, dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for
libITKBasicFilters.so.2.8
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libITKBasicFilters (soname 2.8, path
libITKBasicFilters.so.2.8, dependency field Depends)
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for libITKCommon.so.2.8
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for
shared library libITKCommon (soname 2.8, path libITKCommon.so.2.8,
dependency field Depends)
[...]

I want to remark that all works (the compilation find the library and
the runtime executable also find the dynamic libraries) No error while
compiling, building package or running the aplication. It's only a
dependency problem.

Some hint, about what's wrong?

Thank you for any suggestion, if you need to see some other files
(like the full rules file or so) tell me please.

--
"If you don't know where you're going,
any road will take you there" - Lewis Carroll