non-MOTU Hopeful contributions (was:: GetDeb Project (Why I participate))

Peter (Ubuntu List) ubuntu at ourvirtualhome.com
Wed Oct 17 18:45:01 BST 2007

Emmet Hikory wrote:
>    In recent discussion in -devel-discuss, there was the folllowing
> excerpted exchange:
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 17.10.2007, 09:24 -0400 schrieb Peter (Ubuntu List):
>> I did check to see if I could help out creating packages for as some
>> call it, the inside Ubuntu community. All I could find was becoming a
>> MOTU which is a whole process and I wasn't, and I'm still not, ready for
>> that.
That would be me :)

> Am Mittwoch, den 17.10.2007, 10:19 -0400 schrieb Daniel Holbach:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Recipes/PackageUpdate
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess
>>
>> It's really quite easy. If you think we could improve things by speeding
>> them up somehow or explaining the process better, please let me know -
>> I'm happy to help out and fix it.
>
>     From this, I receive the impression that 1) the current available
> documentation indicates that becoming MOTU is the appropriate
> mechanism by which one contributes new packages or package updates, 2)
> that our documentation is likely either difficult to navigate or
> understand to someone unfamiliar with our culture / history / internal
> mechanisms / something yet unidentified, and 3) that speeding up the
> MOTU application process is desireable.
I believe that your mechanism to have somebody becoming a MOTU is teh
right way. You have to protect the product from deteriorating and make
sure your product remains on the high level it is right now.

For somebody new it always will be difficult to understand the work flow
and the reasoning behind decisions made in the past. This is especially
true in a online community. I used to be a computer consultant and go to
several clients in order to help out. The most difficult thing was
understanding the culture and history but because you are exposed to the
 culture and the people during the workday it made it a bit easier than
for an online community.

>     Personally, I'd like to add greater stress on the mechanisms by
> which individuals with irregular interest may contribute with new
> packages and backports, although I'm not sure we eave the
> documentation so well organised.  What do others think: would there be
> a benefit to getting more people to help with backports and new
> software packaging where those people may not be interested in later
> becoming MOTU, or engaging in the sustained and significant
> contribution expected for members?

Do you have to be a MOTU to contribute to the backports?

See maybe I'm not understanding it, but in order to provide packages,
either new or updates it was my believe you had to be a MOTU.

Maybe in the long run I would like to become a MOTU. I'm not really sure
what it entails, how much is expected, time wise etc.

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98
IRC: Ganseki on irc.freenode.net