Better dietlibc in Hardy

Luca Falavigna dktrkranz at
Thu Nov 29 17:48:07 GMT 2007

Hello everybody,

Luca Falavigna ha scritto:
> after reading Klaus Trainer's email in ubuntu-motu mailing list [1], I
> started to look at the bug [2] given. I realized this was not due to
> util-vserver but to dietlibc instead.
> dietlibc is compiled without stack protector (-fno-stack-protector flag
> and WANT_SSP option disabled in source code) and this leads to weird
> behaviours in packages compiled with dietlibc support, see [3] and [4]
> for concrete examples, but I think many packages are affected.
> I prepared a spec [5] which tries to focus the issue and to provide a
> candidate solution for review. I also uploaded involved packages [6] on
> my PPA [7] for testing purposes.
> If feedbacks are positive, I would like to upload a fixed version of
> dietlibc and, once it will be built on all architectures, manage
> rebuilds of the packages which build-depend on it.

I concluded some tests on my PPA [7] and I find a possible fix for
dietlibc and the packages which depends on it, as I reported in the
related spec [5].

I'm going to upload a new dietlibc package after Alpha 1 release and,
once fully built on all ports, manage rebuilds of the packages which
depends on it  [6]. If you are intrested in one of the package involved,
feel free to report additional comments/tests you feel important.

Also, please inform me as soon as possible if you are aware of a better
solution to fix this issue.

> [1]
> [2]
> [3]