Better dietlibc in Hardy

Luca Falavigna dktrkranz at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 21 08:33:56 GMT 2007

Hi all,

after reading Klaus Trainer's email in ubuntu-motu mailing list [1], I
started to look at the bug [2] given. I realized this was not due to
util-vserver but to dietlibc instead.

dietlibc is compiled without stack protector (-fno-stack-protector flag
and WANT_SSP option disabled in source code) and this leads to weird
behaviours in packages compiled with dietlibc support, see [3] and [4]
for concrete examples, but I think many packages are affected.

I prepared a spec [5] which tries to focus the issue and to provide a
candidate solution for review. I also uploaded involved packages [6] on
my PPA [7] for testing purposes.

If feedbacks are positive, I would like to upload a fixed version of
dietlibc and, once it will be built on all architectures, manage
rebuilds of the packages which build-depend on it.

Please, let me know your opinion about the issue.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/yrqxgv
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/88595
[3] https:://launchpad.net/bugs/82023
[4] https:://launchpad.net/bugs/86823