Fast-track mentoring for lupine_85 and pricechild

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Sun Mar 18 21:40:03 GMT 2007

On 18/03/07 at 20:49 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > 1.) upstream packagers should start with a mentor. The mentor will
> > take full responsibility for the packages during the whole process.
>
> Yes, agreed, and we could record this formally so everyone can so who
> in MOTU is responsible.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here (parse error around "can so
who in MOTU" ?)

> > a) after the initial upload rights have timed out, they can not be renewed,
> > because upstream should by that time have become a full-fledged MOTU.

What if that person is not interested at all in becoming a MOTU ? Being
a MOTU should imply that you are technically able to understand and work
on all packages in universe. If that person has only worked on a few
packages, he/she is not going to achieve that.

> I think this is a good start! It's important that this be codified as a
> standard policy, for all upstreams.

"for all upstreams" raises two points:
- do we really want this for all upstreams ? Upstream usually have very
  different agendas regarding releases, and they might not understand
  that uploading a new, not-so-well-tested version late in the release
  cycle is not really a good idea.
- why limit this to upstream developers ? People who regularly get
  sponsored through REVU should really be able to benefit from that as
  well.

Note that there's a similar discussion on debian-project@ currently,
about the introduction of the "Debian Maintainer" status, allowing
non-developers to upload packages for which they are listed as
Maintainers. The thread begins at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2007/03/msg00074.html
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |