Fast-track mentoring for lupine_85 and pricechild

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 19 16:21:43 GMT 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 06:29:23PM +0100, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Here's what I think:
> Good upstream integration is a very good thing for ubuntu, which should always
> get honoured.
> Limited upload rights won't imo solve the problem of better upstream
> integration per se. It can be a good tool to help with the problem, but it
> won't magically solve it.
> Also creating a sidepath for motu-ship has the risk to demotivate people who
> did it "the hard way", however this was raised pretty good by Scott already,
> so I don't go into detail here.

Agreed on all points.  We should be very careful about such an approach so
that we don't discourage participation by giving an impression of
unfairness.

In the past, the Technical Board has fast-tracked new developers on the
basis of Debian background (because the relevant skills carry over to Ubuntu
very well) or first-hand experience.

Upstream development doesn't imply the necessary skills or knowledge for
uploading packages directly to Ubuntu, so I don't think upstream developers
should bypass the mentoring process.  I do think that upstream developers
deserve special attention in this process because of their important role in
the project, and we should actively encourage them to participate in it.

If Launchpad were to allow it, granting limited rights for specific packages
would be a good idea for security (minimal privileges) where a developer
only wishes to contribute to a very limited set of packages.  It would not,
however, avoid the need to understand the release process, packaging
policies, and other information which is essential to Ubuntu development.  I
think we can discuss how and when to grant such limited privileges when
Launchpad offers this capability.

--
 - mdz