Refining MOTU Mentoring

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 24 12:52:16 BST 2007

Hello Scott,

you raise some important points in this mail.

Am Dienstag, den 21.08.2007, 10:07 -0400 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> I thought this is what #ubuntu-motu was for?

While I agree that we should try to keep everybody together in one
place, I think that it's good that we have efforts in other languages as
well. Of course the main language will always be english, but there are
people who are behind the language barrier.

I noticed people in the german LoCo who are doing work on packaging, but
who just don't speak English very well; it's good if we can include them
in the team too.

> Since we started the MOTU mentoring process it has seemed to me that there are
> fewer people willing to ask questions on #ubuntu-motu.  I am increasingly
> PM'ed with packaging questions.  NOTE: I don't have statistics, this is my
> impression.

An important point. I mentioned that in my initial mail and think it's
essential to strengthen #ubuntu-motu and our mailing lists as the number
one forums, where questions are asked and answered by a large group of
experts and not in silent corners somewhere.

> It appears to me that people who don't have a mentor are being demotivated and
> thinking they can't participate.  At least I see less activity from new
> hopefuls on #ubuntu-motu.  Now this may have all been picked up by the
> mentors list and so I'm off base, but my impression is that since we've had a
> formal mentors program there has been a lot less activity from new people
> that is visible to the community.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix that? Do you think that the measures
I outlined in my initial mail help with that?

> I'm not sure what the right answer is here, but the fact that people are
> saying they need a place " to be free to ask all the questions you want"
> indicates a significant problem in my opinion.  We already have such a place,
> #ubuntu-motu and if it's not recognized as such, we need to fix that.

Agreed. We just need to be careful of the people who are intimidated in
the beginning and feel more comfortable asking on ubuntu-motu-mentors@
or in some other place.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel