Files added to a package? Patches or files in debian/?

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.dk
Tue Aug 21 19:23:01 BST 2007

Is there a consensus on what to do when you are adding files to a package? I
am thinking for example on a situation where I am authoring a complete
autotools system to a software package, and upstream is, say, dead or
unresponsive ;-)

Of course, I can add these as patches against /dev/null, but that honestly
seems a bit awkward.

An alternative is to put the files in debian/ and let debian/rules move them
to their proper place in the directory tree.

What say you, oh MOTUs?

Cheers,
Morten aka mok0