Refining MOTU Mentoring

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 22 15:57:46 BST 2007

Hello Morten,

thanks for your response,

Am Dienstag, den 21.08.2007, 23:02 +0200 schrieb Kjeldgaard Morten:
> As a new contributor, let me add a few comments, then.
>
> As it has been pointed out by others, the reviewing process can be
> quite frustrating. It is not the meticulous requirements to the
> packages, which I find rational and easy to understand, but rather
> the haphazard way you have to find reviewers. When asking how to get
> your package reviewed, the standard reply is "try asking on irc". I
> have done that, of course, but I estimate the success rate to be only
> around 10%. For busy professionals, it can be quite difficult to
> spend time hanging out on irc.

we noticed that too and I spend more time every day now to make reviews
happen more quickly.
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews points out how to
help out there. http://daniel.holba.ch/sponsoring/ has an overview over
the current status.

To get something reviewed you basically just have to:

      * for main/restricted packages: file a explanatory bug, attach the
        patch, subscribe ubuntu-main-sponsors
      * for universe/multiverse packages: file a explanatory bug, attach
        the patch, subscribe ubuntu-universe-sponsors
      * for new packages: file a needs-packaging bug
        (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Packages/New) and mark it as 'fix
        committed' if you want to get it reviewed.

Please let me know how that works out for you.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel