"official" MOTU projects (was: Morgue for MOTU ?)

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 11 13:37:46 GMT 2006

hi,
Am Samstag, den 11.02.2006, 13:09 +0000 schrieb Reinhard Tartler:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
> thanks for joining this discussion.
> >> I strongly disagree. For me, debian is the most successful distribution
> >> on this planet, measuring the numbers of developers and users.
> >> Comercially supported applications is not one of the core goals from
> >> debian. You can read them here: http://www.us.debian.org/social_contract
> >>=20
> >> Again something we don't have, but I think we should at least think
> >> about something comparable.
> >>=20
> > *cough*, *cough* did you read the CoC before you signed it ??
>
> I did read it very carefully. It was an important reason for me for
> joining ubuntu. Debian does not have something like the CoC, which gives
> guidelines how a developer should behave. The Debian social contract and
> the DFSG in particular are different, with good reasons.

they are the equivalent documents for two different distros describing
the respective targets...

> > i must adimt that share stephans disappiontment about the mood in the
> > motu world that went from having fun together fixing packages to useless
> > (imho) discussions about more rules and politics ...
>
> It is fun fixing packages and doing a good service for our users. I
> agree, yes. However it is very disappointing seeing broken packages and
> a universe with over 1000 diverged packages and the insight, that with
> the current numbers of developers and current mood this will end into a
> disaster.
>
> This is a technical matter, no matter how often you call that
> 'political'.
in my view it is political and i dont see that desaster you two evoke
with your warnings ... we were 8 MOTUs in hoary and it worked, we are 35
MOTUs now and i still fail to see the desaster ... what i saw was a
period during this development cycle where everybody stopped working for
a week or two and all that was going on were discussions about the
processes ...
if debian wants to have flame wars, let them, i joined ubuntu for
exactly the reason to not have these flame wars ... and i dont see a
reason why they should soak in to ubuntu ...
we have < 200 packages left that need touching in universe and imho this
is the number of packages that could have been fixed while everybody was
distracted by flamewars going on in another distro (especially since
thats not the first time debian had flamewars about this topic and it
didnt distract us that last few times it came up, since nobody actively
carried it to ubuntu... if i want to participate in it, i'll subscribe
to debian-devel)...

ciao
	oli