We desperately need more ops in #ubuntu.

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 21:27:45 UTC 2023

On 12/15/23 15:14, Melissa Draper wrote:

>> On Dec 15, 2023, at 12:16, Aaron Rainbolt <arraybolt3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Number of events that needed operator intervention where no
>> intervention was present: 23
>
> The logger client hides exits (for good reason,) so you’re are missing
> out on quite a bit of network staff intervention with that number.
> There are ops team on network staff, and we don’t usually announce in
> affected channels when we do a network intervention, because that’s
> usually quite a few channels. However, you can probably figure out a
> bunch of them by checking the nicks and seeing that some are frozen.
> You’ll still miss the k-lined ones.
>
> Also, from a long term irc team member, this list is averaging over
> the year at problems happening less than once a week, which is a very
> low rate of abuse compared to the daily load we used to deal with.
> This comes with its own impact on response times; if there’s nothing
> to do, attention wanders or fingers get itchy for action. More ops may
> well not make much difference, or may not make a positive difference
> in terms of channel temperature.
>
> Regards,
> el
This makes sense to me. However, while the numbers I have may need
adjusted (and I mentioned as much in my initial email), the problem
remains. I don't see fingers getting "itchy" half so much as I see
problems being missed rather frequently. This study is just attempting
to objectively quantify something I and at least two other channel users
have subjectively noticed. Even if a significant number of the events
that appear to lack operator intervention actually did have operator
intervention, there's still a lot of stuff getting missed and allowed to
spiral out of control.

--
Aaron Rainbolt
Lubuntu Developer