We desperately need more ops in #ubuntu.

Simon Quigley simon at tsimonq2.net
Sun Dec 17 14:15:47 UTC 2023

Dear Ubuntu IRC Council,

I hope this finds you in good health and high spirits. I would like to follow up
on this proposal with my own comments, and propose some steps forward. As you
will read, I am not happy with quite a few elements, but you should not take
this personally; someone MUST be firm about this.

Firstly, I am quite appalled by the reaction from the IRCC on this proposal.
 From my understanding, this is generally being treated as, "Aaron just wants to
be an IRC operator, and is making a huge fuss about it." That is NOT how we
treat contributors in Ubuntu(!), and goes directly against the Code of Conduct:

(* = [*])
"Collaboration between teams that each have their own goal and vision is
essential; for the whole to be more than the sum of its parts, each part must
make an effort to understand the whole. Collaboration reduces redundancy and
improves the quality of our work. Internally and externally, *we celebrate good
collaboration*. [...] Our community is open, and any responsibility can be
carried by *any* contributor who demonstrates the required capacity and competence."

Aaron took a large amount of time, as a volunteer contributor, to prepare this
proposal for you all, and it is *quite* disrespectful that you seem to be
discarding it. Inactivity is understandable at this time of year, but to my
understanding, a quorum of the IRCC is active, so why was Melissa's response
considered adequate in any way, shape, or form? #ubuntu is *literally* the
frontpage of Ubuntu on IRC, this should be at the *top* of the IRCC's list.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the urgency of this request; after talking to
several key players within the community, the general consensus is, even if
Aaron's data may need to be slightly adjusted, *he's right*. We NEED more IRC
operators in #ubuntu. Some events may be false flags, but we are all human. If a
pattern needs to be corrected, address it head on, *do not* talk about it in a
clandestine manner as a point against someone being an operator, without doing
anything about it. If you think someone is too aggressive in calling the
operators, or as an operator banning people, *you need to address it, that is
your job as the Ubuntu IRC Council*.

Do better. I'm not going to respond or read your angry PMs about how I'm
overreacting, because *I'm not*. I will *not* let the IRC Council get away with
treating someone, especially Aaron Rainbolt, like this. I am formally asking you
to fix this, immediately. He deserves better than this.

Aaron, you did a really great job with this proposal. I really appreciate all
the time and effort you put into this. Comments inline.

On 12/15/23 02:16 PM, Aaron Rainbolt wrote:
> Good morning/evening, and thanks for your time.
>
> I wish to call attention to the current state of affairs as far as channel
> moderation in the #ubuntu IRC room. Based on both recent and past activity, it
> is my opinion that we do not have enough active IRC operators present to handle
> the current rate of spam and disruption that flows into #ubuntu on a regular
> basis. This can be shown by viewing the IRC logs for the #ubuntu room over the
> last two years.

One-hundred percent agreed, qualitatively to start. #ubuntu is the frontpage for
Ubuntu on IRC, so if additional moderators put themselves forward, the IRC
Council should make it a priority to review those.

> To obtain the needed data, I grabbed all of the #ubuntu IRC logs over 2022 and
> 2023, then scanned for events that needed operator intervention. I have defined
> an "event that needs operator intervention" as being any discrete event within
> the channel wherein which the !ops trigger was used due to an actual rule
> violation, and the offending user did not cease misbehaving after the trigger
> was used (or the misbehavior was very serious). Multiple !ops triggers in
> relation to the same user are considered a single event, and illegitimate or
> potentially overzealous uses of the !ops trigger are disqualified. From this
> list of events, I then studied the logs to find all events that needed operator
> intervention where no intervention was present. I have defined "operator
> intervention" as being any activity by an operator listed by ubottu when the
> !ops trigger was used, with such activity being at least somewhat in relation to
> the misbehaving user's activity. Any visible or suspected activity is qualified.
> Finally, any events which resulted in Libera staff stepping in are considered
> the same as being handled by the ops team statistically (though are
> distinguished from normal operator intervention).

I understand some heuristics are involved here, and I honestly agree with it;
there is not quite a clear definition of what exactly defines an "event that
needs operator intervention" and I could not have said it better myself. If
anyone has ideas on how we can define this better, without saying "most calls to
!ops are overzealous" (which, to my understanding, is a common opinion), I think
we'd really get somewhere.

> I do note that the IRC logs do not keep record of joins, leaves, bans, kicks,
> etc. Some of this info may be inaccurate as a result, though I suspect it is
> mostly reliable as usually someone says "thanks" when a user gets banned, or the
> operator says something.

In my experiences, when doing these types of analyses, I tend to use my own IRC
logs. Of course, there are netsplits to worry about, but that will give you a
more complete view of these items. They intentionally filter some of these
events out from the IRC logs.

> In my personal opinion, if more than 15% of events that needed operator
> intervention go unhandled, that likely means we need more active operators.
> According to my study, the percentage of missed events is over double that. I
> therefore conclude that we desperately need more ops in #ubuntu, and would like
> for the IRC operator team to consider having a vote for additional IRC operators
> in that channel.

Not disagreeing, but where did you come up with 15%? Where exactly should we
draw the line here, and why?

> Thank you for your consideration.

For moving the needle forward, we should be thanking *you*!

> Here are the results of my study:
>
> Number of events that needed operator intervention: 58
> Number of events handled by operators: 35
> Number of events that needed operator intervention where no intervention was
> present: 23
> Percentage of unhandled events: 39.65%

(Small note; the most accurate percentage given the rule of significant digits
would be 40%, rounded up.)

In my own, personal capacity,
--
Simon Quigley