Join the discussion in #ubuntu-discuss

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 25 21:24:32 UTC 2012

Today we are opening up a new IRC channel, #ubuntu-discuss, a place to
chat about Ubuntu. This builds on our existing set of Ubuntu related
channels

#ubuntu Our primary support channel. Here anyone can come and ask a
question about their Ubuntu system and help other people with problems
or issues they have running Ubuntu.

#ubuntu-offtopic This is our informal community cafe, where Ubuntu
community members can relax and chat about anything (within sensible
boundaries) Ubuntu related or not, from Rhythmbox to kittens.

#ubuntu-discuss Our new channel in the lineup, this is for discussions
that are not support related but are about Ubuntu. These might include
speculation about future directions, interesting products with Ubuntu
pre-installed, the latest posts on planet Ubuntu or anything else that
is Ubuntu related. Kitten discussions probably don’t belong here, unless
the kitten in question is surprisingly adept on the command line.

This may prompt a few questions and we have tried to anticipate some of
the most important ones, feel free to ask more in the comments:

Does this mean we can’t talk about Ubuntu in #ubuntu-offtopic?

No it doesn’t, we want to retain the relaxed atmosphere and chatty
discussions of Ubuntu and everything else in #ubuntu-offtopic.

Does the IRC Council just hate kittens?

No, kittens are lovely, here is a picture of one just to prove how much
we like them. http://placekitten.com/g/300/200

At what point should users get directed to #ubuntu-discuss?

If users in #ubuntu (or other channels) want to talk about Ubuntu rather
than get help on an immediate support issue then either #ubuntu-offtopic
or #ubuntu-discuss might be appropriate places to suggest for them. Use
your judgement and personal preference on this. The “!discuss” factoid
has been added to the bots.

When in #ubuntu-discuss, at what point do we direct people to
#ubuntu-phone, #ubuntu-TV, etc?

If people have a query about a specific project or product then it would
be great to inform them of the more focused channels that are available,
however discussions of these products are totally within the scope of
#ubuntu-discuss.

What if we can’t think of anything to say?

There will be links to articles on planet.ubuntu.com (and maybe some
other interesting places) announced in the channel automatically to
spark conversations.

I look forward to discussing Ubuntu with you there!

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk