Using NOTICE messages

rww rww at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 13 01:44:05 UTC 2011

When I was reading the IRCC meeting log and this first came up, my knee-jerk reaction was indeed that NOTICEs are evil. But on reflection, I think I agree that this is more a cultural artifact than anything I can actually back up with reasons. So, I don't think I mind NOTICEs too much in and of themselves.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 09:28:55PM -0300, Elián Hanisch wrote:
> - Public logs: Notices aren't logged in public logs, so whatever that a user
> does in a query with the bot doesn't end in the public log. Users
> trolling/spamming with the bot won't get their messages in the log.
> (I know this is stupid, but do we have to add in the ToS that whatever they
> say to ubottu if it has an 'is' in the sentence will be logged in -ops? :P)

This is a double-edged sword. On one side is what you said. On the other side, legitimate factoid requests being logged on irclogs.ubuntu.com has been useful to me on occasion when trying to remember why we changed a factoid in a particular way. I guess we have our own logs, though, so it's not a huge deal.