Call for discussion to clarify the IRC guidelines

Juha Siltala juha at siltala.net
Fri Jul 29 14:10:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 23:44, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM, IdleOne <oneidle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As far as double standards towards fellow ops or regular users goes
>
> This is never what it seems.  I have yet to see it really happen, and
> yet it comes up all the time.

I think this is also related to our regular difficulty with borderline
cases, especially in #ubuntu-offtopic. Some users manage to walk the
line of being offensive or annoying enough for very long periods of
time, and ignore our advice in /msg because they can honestly say they
aren't "really breaking any rules".

When we finally remove these users, it is often difficult to find
evidence of any specific violation of our guidelines. "They're
annoying and people dislike them" is not a very good basis for banning
anyone, yet it is clear that these users are disruptive to peace and
comfort on our channels.

What do we do on such cases?

--
Juha Siltala