Call for discussion to clarify the IRC guidelines

Phix phix.nay at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 01:34:21 UTC 2011

To me the guideline "family friendly" goes beyond words and subject manner,
and encompasses attitude as well. If someone showed up at a family barbeque
and annoyed a large portion of attendees with offensive or abusive behavior,
they would probably warned, then not be invited back, and possibly asked to
leave then and there, regardless if they used profanities or other
"technically" family-unfriendly speech.

I think if we hold behavior as well as language as what needs to be
appropriate for family and the ubuntu community, we can clearly point to
specific examples where a questionable user made other people in the channel
feel uncomfortable, or refused to change behavior after being warned and
given time, even if they protest that they never 'broke any rules'.

--Patrick Hixenbaugh (semitones)