Loco Bot logging localisation

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 7 08:13:03 UTC 2011

Hi All,

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/11 22:27, Alan Pope wrote:
> > Given our responsibility to inform people joining IRC channels in our
> > namespace about logging, it seems sensible to me that we should at
> > least tell people in their own language. How can we ensure loco bots
> > are announcing notices like this in the 'right' language?
>
> We should be able to support localisation of bot messages through LP
> faily easily, if there's a mechanism for the bot to talk PO files and
> also if there's a database of which language is relevant in which channels.
>
> Great sleuthing Popey :-)

I think this is more a communication issue - while the IRCC did communicate
about this to the loco's, it likely didn't get through. (When I look now, I
don't see it on their list archives, but I did send it to the loco contacts
list. However, you can see it on the Ubuntu-irc list here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-irc/2010-November/001159.html )

What needs to happen is the loco channels need to add an entry message
as described in the link in the email there (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/Bots), but in the loco language.

Perhaps the Loco council could assist in getting the word out to the
relevant people?

Cheers

Jussi.