Perhaps it would be wise to open #Ubuntu-LTS?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:57:49 UTC 2010

On 11 May 2010 14:33, John Vivirito <gnomefreak at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not disagree how ever after reading some of
> the comments on this topic i am getting the
> feeling that it is a good idea however is it a way
> to lessen traffic in #ubuntu?
> We get this request every release because people
> think we have way too much traffic in #ubuntu.

My intention is not primarily to reduce pressure on #Ubuntu, but to
remove the non-LTS chatter from the LTS users, so that they can get
more precise help. As a side effect, though, the pressure on #Ubuntu
will drop somewhat. I don't think the drop will be very significant,
as the percentage of LTS-stickers are fairly low at this time. This
might change during lucid, I think, so in the long run, it would be
beneficial both ways.

> How do we forward users to the new channels? Do we
> set up something to do it for us (not sure what
> can really be done for that)
> Do we wait for users to tell us what release they
> are using? Some people never say what release they
> are using thinking they are all the same.

Those are interesting questions. How do people find their way into
#Ubuntu in the first place? By communicating that there is a
specialized channel for Ubuntu Desktop LTS questions, people should
find their way. I'm not advocating that we should chase users from
#Ubuntu into #Ubuntu-LTS, mind you. I think this channel should grow
naturally and in its own pace. As I said before, many of the active
helpers on IRC are so enthusiastic about Ubuntu, they will upgrade at
the earliest possible convenience. We need to get the experienced LTS
users to join the newly formed channel before we market it. But the
channel has to be open for this to happen.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad