Perhaps it would be wise to open #Ubuntu-LTS?

John Vivirito gnomefreak at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:51:12 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 08:57 AM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> On 11 May 2010 14:33, John Vivirito <gnomefreak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do not disagree how ever after reading some of
>> the comments on this topic i am getting the
>> feeling that it is a good idea however is it a way
>> to lessen traffic in #ubuntu?
>> We get this request every release because people
>> think we have way too much traffic in #ubuntu.
>
> My intention is not primarily to reduce pressure on #Ubuntu, but to
> remove the non-LTS chatter from the LTS users, so that they can get
> more precise help. As a side effect, though, the pressure on #Ubuntu
> will drop somewhat. I don't think the drop will be very significant,
> as the percentage of LTS-stickers are fairly low at this time. This
> might change during lucid, I think, so in the long run, it would be
> beneficial both ways.
>
>> How do we forward users to the new channels? Do we
>> set up something to do it for us (not sure what
>> can really be done for that)
>> Do we wait for users to tell us what release they
>> are using? Some people never say what release they
>> are using thinking they are all the same.
>
> Those are interesting questions. How do people find their way into
> #Ubuntu in the first place?

It is provided in most IRC clients we provide, It
automatically joins the correct support channels
example: #ubuntu, #kubuntu, ect...

--
Sincerely Yours,
    John Vivirito

https://launchpad.net/~gnomefreak
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JohnVivirito
Linux User# 414246

"How can i get lost, if i have no where to go"
    -- Metallica from Unforgiven III