general attitude for -ops, how we are expected to behave

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - ompaul at eircom.net
Mon Feb 15 07:42:48 UTC 2010

Joseph Price wrote:
> On 14 February 2010 10:56, Terence Simpson <tsimpson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> I know we are all human and we do make mistakes
>> or have bad days.
>
> Indeed, we are all human. Just like all the other users.... yes we're users too!
>
> Assume the best.
>

>> I'm not proposing that we are forced to be cheery all
>> the time, and are fired out of a cannon when we fail. But we should all
>> make an effort to be considerate and lead by example.
>
> If you don't want to spend the time dealing with situations, trying to
> keep everyone happy, then don't. Let someone else do it.
>
> "Oh I don't have enough time" is no excuse to just banforward someone
> before signing off. If you don't have the time to talk with someone,
> leave it alone.

This is wrong, if you have not gotten the idea already, there is baiting
and organised baiting, for instance I used to do some stuff on a
Saturday morning early local time. I would be the only person there for
a couple of hours. If your primary objective is not create a functional
  support channel, then what is it?

When you are on the way out why not do a
"Mark usernam #Channel-wheretheywere" in #ubuntu-ops.

Perhaps if it had been building over time then the -1 hour or -3 hours
then that could be included.

As others have the rights to remove bans set by another op. A cold light
of day approach can be taken by reflecting on the logs at that time

Anything else is burnout for people who are trying to keep channels
functional.
(No idea how I would know this.)