Call for comments on IRCC nominees

Steve Stalcup vorian at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 17 00:23:52 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

I don't know you really well, but I think you're somewhat new to the community.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Michael Lustfield
<mtecknology at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We don't need any people bashing.
>
> As far as elky causing issues; I know I've personally dragged her into
> a disagreement more than once. I don't see elky as someone that causes
> issues. She has always come into look at the issue and voice her
> opinion. This is from my limited experience with her directly.
>
> This is also how I expect others to act. When there is an issue, the
> responsible IRCC, CC, or Op steps to see what's going on, develops on
> opinion from their view, acts on it. If I'm wrong, please correct me...

I've idled in -ops for who knows how many years now Mike, and I've
seen some rather disturbing things which start with 00:00 < elky>  or
in the good ol days 00:00 < elkbuntu>.  There are many things I wish I
could share, but I can point you in the direction of
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/.  Feel free to see if what I said is
accurate - and it goes years back.

> Af far as somebody withdrawing there nomination from what was said on
> Facebook... It's "Facebook" it's the replacement for "MySpace." Take
> anything said on facebook with a grain-of-salt and a
> shot-of-penicillin. It's not worth worrying about what they say at all.

My withdrawel from this is about a few things.  I am jaded.  I am
burned out.  I've done the loco thing, it went really well, then I got
burned out.  Then I was a forum staffer for a couple of years, and got
burned out.  I got into the devel side of things a few years back with
a lot of help (you see, I'm not a very smart person and have zero
computer training)  I worked really hard to become a motu, and was a
hairs length away from becoming a core-dev.  That was a drama I don't
want to re-live.  I'm happy helping out on the motu team and the
motu-release team and package-training-coordinating teams.  I am more
than happy to have a trusted sponsor upload my packages to main - it
helps me improve and it's also a really great sanity check.

People change, grow, etc... the community changes and grows.  I have
to admit, I have become jaded in many ways about how things work.  The
people who are selected to be on this council need to be energetic
about making real change.  There has been damage done due to a certain
member of the IIRC - and people who are smart, energetic, and ready to
do some REALLY hard work to get things working right are the people we
need on the council.  We are guests of freenode, and they are really
amazing at dealing with our (Ubuntu's) needs - they go out of their
way when they don't have to, and they get people like ekly and hobbsee
telling them how to run their own network.

> I have my personal feelings about everyone on this list. If you feel
> there is an issue with someone then there is no reason not to bring it
> to this list. However, we DO NOT need "your the reason for all the
> issues cuz i sez so." Let's keep this list professional. If you have an
> issue then bring it to the list, explain what the issue is, and give
> something substantial.
>
> Example of something useful: "I'm not sure that I can support Michael
> because he has in the past caused a huge fuss with the decision of an
> op in #ubuntu-us. He seemed rather unstable and I feel he would have a
> bad impact on the IRCC." <- Of course we got everything worked out.
>
> Example of something not useful in the least: Read below and previously
> in this thread.
>
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:56:01 -0700
> Steve Stalcup <stalcups at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd rather disagree with the endorsment on elky.  She tends to be at
> > the center of any contraversy I've seen throughout the years.  She is
> > probably even more jaded than I.  Elky is also the root cause of many
> > of our current problems, including our relationship with freenode.
> > Elky gives this project a bad name in the eyes of many outside observers
> >
> > Nhandler would be awesome imo, but I'm not so sure he'll like my
> > Endorsement.
> >

> For the record, it's not just Steve but rather a group of people that
> have taken the opportunity to bash others without any reason aside from
> what is apparently "I don't like you."

Mike, due to my involvment with freenode and PDPC as a volunteer staff
member, I am not at liberty to discuss specific examples.  I hope you
and the CC can understand that we keep issues under the utmost
confidence.  The evidence against Elkbuntu is all in the logs -
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/

Peace out,
Steve