Call for comments on IRCC nominees

Michael Lustfield mtecknology at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 17 00:47:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:23:52 -0700
Steve Stalcup <vorian at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I don't know you really well, but I think you're somewhat new to the community.
I've only been using Ubuntu since 5.04 (was just being released) which
was the first time I used Linux. I used Gentoo for a while in there. I
also manage other distros and work with other projects.

I guess that does make me pretty new still. I have learned a lot in
that short time though.

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Michael Lustfield
> <mtecknology at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > We don't need any people bashing.
> >
> > As far as elky causing issues; I know I've personally dragged her into
> > a disagreement more than once. I don't see elky as someone that causes
> > issues. She has always come into look at the issue and voice her
> > opinion. This is from my limited experience with her directly.
> >
> > This is also how I expect others to act. When there is an issue, the
> > responsible IRCC, CC, or Op steps to see what's going on, develops on
> > opinion from their view, acts on it. If I'm wrong, please correct me...
>
> I've idled in -ops for who knows how many years now Mike, and I've
> seen some rather disturbing things which start with 00:00 < elky>  or
> in the good ol days 00:00 < elkbuntu>.  There are many things I wish I
> could share, but I can point you in the direction of
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/.  Feel free to see if what I said is
> accurate - and it goes years back.
>
> > Af far as somebody withdrawing there nomination from what was said on
> > Facebook... It's "Facebook" it's the replacement for "MySpace." Take
> > anything said on facebook with a grain-of-salt and a
> > shot-of-penicillin. It's not worth worrying about what they say at all.
>
> My withdrawel from this is about a few things.  I am jaded.  I am
> burned out.  I've done the loco thing, it went really well, then I got
> burned out.  Then I was a forum staffer for a couple of years, and got
> burned out.  I got into the devel side of things a few years back with
> a lot of help (you see, I'm not a very smart person and have zero
> computer training)  I worked really hard to become a motu, and was a
> hairs length away from becoming a core-dev.  That was a drama I don't
> want to re-live.  I'm happy helping out on the motu team and the
> motu-release team and package-training-coordinating teams.  I am more
> than happy to have a trusted sponsor upload my packages to main - it
> helps me improve and it's also a really great sanity check.

I remember a thread previously with burn out. If that's the reason for
the withdrawal I won't argue. I just don't want to see somebody walk
away because of something they saw on facebook. Especially someone as
knowledgeable as you.

> People change, grow, etc... the community changes and grows.  I have
> to admit, I have become jaded in many ways about how things work.  The
> people who are selected to be on this council need to be energetic
> about making real change.  There has been damage done due to a certain
> member of the IIRC - and people who are smart, energetic, and ready to
> do some REALLY hard work to get things working right are the people we
> need on the council.  We are guests of freenode, and they are really
> amazing at dealing with our (Ubuntu's) needs - they go out of their
> way when they don't have to, and they get people like ekly and hobbsee
> telling them how to run their own network.
>
> > I have my personal feelings about everyone on this list. If you feel
> > there is an issue with someone then there is no reason not to bring it
> > to this list. However, we DO NOT need "your the reason for all the
> > issues cuz i sez so." Let's keep this list professional. If you have an
> > issue then bring it to the list, explain what the issue is, and give
> > something substantial.
> >
> > Example of something useful: "I'm not sure that I can support Michael
> > because he has in the past caused a huge fuss with the decision of an
> > op in #ubuntu-us. He seemed rather unstable and I feel he would have a
> > bad impact on the IRCC." <- Of course we got everything worked out.
> >
> > Example of something not useful in the least: Read below and previously
> > in this thread.
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:56:01 -0700
> > Steve Stalcup <stalcups at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd rather disagree with the endorsment on elky.  She tends to be at
> > > the center of any contraversy I've seen throughout the years.  She is
> > > probably even more jaded than I.  Elky is also the root cause of many
> > > of our current problems, including our relationship with freenode.
> > > Elky gives this project a bad name in the eyes of many outside observers
> > >
> > > Nhandler would be awesome imo, but I'm not so sure he'll like my
> > > Endorsement.
> > >

> > For the record, it's not just Steve but rather a group of people that
> > have taken the opportunity to bash others without any reason aside from
> > what is apparently "I don't like you."
>
> Mike, due to my involvment with freenode and PDPC as a volunteer staff
> member, I am not at liberty to discuss specific examples.  I hope you
> and the CC can understand that we keep issues under the utmost
> confidence.  The evidence against Elkbuntu is all in the logs -
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/

I can fully understand that. I wasn't referring to just you. I was also
referring to how this has gone on many times in the past. I'm just
irritated with it.

I'm sorry if this came across as me attacking you specifically. I
didn't mean that in the least.

> Peace out,
> Steve

- --