Goodbye

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 29 07:10:38 UTC 2008

Hi

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>  Thanks for taking action, Seveas.  I suspect you'll be the first of many.

This is all very disappointing. The "I'm leaving and taking my bots
with me" attitude is not consistent with the code of conduct, which
provides:

"Step down considerately. Developers on every project come and go and
Ubuntu is no different. When you leave or disengage from the project,
in whole or in part, we ask that you do so in a way that minimises
disruption to the project. This means you should tell people you are
leaving and take the proper steps to ensure that others can pick up
where you leave off."

The Ubuntu community relies heavily on those bots, the user community
for help and the development community for the live bug assistance.
Regardless of provocation, I expected a lot more from someone who has
been an integral part of our community for so long.

I don't know anything about the specific issues involved, but I will
say one thing. Managing an online community is very difficult, it
carries with it a lot of responsibility, and getting the right balance
between interventionism and liberalism is not an easy thing to do; nor
is there always a right answer. The big picture here is that we have a
pretty great community, there may be one or two bad apples around, but
in general the atmosphere is a positive one and trolls can be ignored.
Please don't let this issue be something worth leaving the community
over.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org