Fwd: Re: Reports of unfriendliness in the irc channel

Joseph Price pricechild at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 17 11:59:16 UTC 2007

Accidentally sent this only to mdke and not the list earlier...

Hey there mdke.

Yesterday, in the morning UTC, a user called !ops and complained about a
user "bruenig". The user quickly disappeared without letting us try and
discuss the complaint with him. (Seveas explained in -ops that the users
had had a little disagreement earlier, but that the user complaining was
probably more in the wrong than bruenig.)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=552262 was also posted. He also
spammed my personal blog a little replying to my post despite me
explaining to him the proper place for this discussion.

I'm reasonably confident that the above is the same user as that who
posted the bug report because of the similar issue, time and posting
style.

Personally I don't feel this user wants to help the situation, he's not
been willing to discuss it with the me or ops in #ubuntu-ops afaik and
has just spammed the issue around in unrelated places.

If any user feels that anyone else involved in #*buntu* has broken the
Ubuntu IRC Guidelines then I am more than willing to hear them and
discuss the situation with them, then try and settle things. I also
regularly inform users of this in pm during "scuffles" in channels and
resolve many issues in this way.

Spamming an issue about like this user has done without even attempting
to find the proper methods of dispute resolution (or use them once
pointed to them) won't help anyone and I don't see any way we can stop
it happening.

Pricey