Ubuntu IRC Dispute - Sent to you as per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/AppealProcess

Peter Garrett peter-garrett at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 9 22:23:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 08:15:04 -0400
Bobby Coop <coop at coopology.com> wrote:

> Look, I don't want to make anyone upset with anyone else, certainly not
> if the reason for that is that they are helping on my behalf.

<etc. etc. snipped both sides of the discussion >

This seems to have turned into something of a repetitious loop of
accusations and counter accusations...

Please see this post as an attempt at a sensible resolution. I was not
present, and cannot comment on the rights and wrongs of the situation, but
I offer this as a possible way out:

1.) coop's ban is lifted, with the proviso that he is now fully aware that
every op in #*ubuntu- *  channels now knows who he is, and will be watching
his behaviour with interest.  ;-)

2) Both parties agree that the incident has been blown somewhat out of
proportion, and both admit so on this list, without suggesting that this is
the other party's fault.

3) Both parties agree that the other has the interests of the
community at heart, and undertake to keep that in mind for the future.

I noticed that no other ops have so much as made a sound on this list
regarding the incident. I suspect that this is out of respect for Seveas,
and I share that respect, but I see this post as a straightforward attempt
at conflict resolution.

Of course, any lifting of Seveas's ban should be conditional on coop's
future behaviour - but from what I have read in the logs and here, it would
seem unlikely that this will be a problem.

Please don't prove me wrong, coop :-)

It's a difficult balancing act for ops to show solidarity and back each
other up, while at the same time trying to see users' point of view. I hope
coop will take that into account, as well as the fact that Seveas has, for
(at least) more than two years, been a driving force behind making the
Ubuntu channels as good as possible.

Sincerely,

Peter ( aka thoreauputic, when he can make it onto IRC these days )