Ubuntu IRC Dispute - Sent to you as per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/AppealProcess

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 9 22:59:48 UTC 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007, Peter Garrett wrote:
[snip]
| 1.) coop's ban is lifted, with the proviso that he is now fully aware that
| every op in #*ubuntu- *  channels now knows who he is, and will be watching
| his behaviour with interest.  ;-)

I can agree with the lifting of the ban, but not watching his behavior with
interest. Doing so is attempting to set him up for failure and is a cause of
vendettas. He made a mistake, and I think he learned from it.

| 2) Both parties agree that the incident has been blown somewhat out of
| proportion, and both admit so on this list, without suggesting that this is
| the other party's fault.

+1

| 3) Both parties agree that the other has the interests of the
| community at heart, and undertake to keep that in mind for the future.

+1

| I noticed that no other ops have so much as made a sound on this list
| regarding the incident. I suspect that this is out of respect for Seveas,
| and I share that respect, but I see this post as a straightforward attempt
| at conflict resolution.

I read the log and seen the warnings that were provided prior to the ban.
Unwillingly or not coop crossed that line and Seveas had every right to
enforce a quiet in both #ubuntu-offtopic and #ubuntu. Whether is was out of
respect to Seveas or the feeling that I wasn't the person at the time to
speak up.

| Of course, any lifting of Seveas's ban should be conditional on coop's
| future behaviour - but from what I have read in the logs and here, it would
| seem unlikely that this will be a problem.

I agree with it unlikely occurring again.

And you just said it best here. Who is Seveas again? :) @lart

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com