%post in ubuntu kickstart

stephen mulcahy stephen.mulcahy at deri.org
Wed Mar 25 16:00:21 GMT 2009

Rohit Kumar Mehta wrote:
> However my post "%post --interpreter=/bin/bash" does run inside the
> /target.  I found some things difficult to do through the bash script,
> so one of the actions in the post was to cd to /etc/rc2.d and download a
> perl script with wget and chmod +x it.  The perl script is my real
> finish script.  It runs upon first boot, and then deletes itself.  I
> like the solution very much.

Thanks Rohit.

Looking further, my %post also seems to run inside /target

My confusion stems from the following part of my %post script failing

useradd -p '$6$oTSZNL/kPAlPKB11o71HZiN/NMkRkBYRImy0' -m a_user -s
/bin/bash -G admin

I'm trying to add a second user (including a hashed password) - but it
silently fails (nothing in /var/log/syslog). If I run this from the
kickseed console before rebooting it runs fine so I'm unclear as to why
it is failing. Any ideas?

The perl/python script idea has appeal if only to get around stuff like
the above.

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, DERI, National University of Ireland, Galway,
IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland