kubuntu slideshow

Evan Dandrea evand at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 26 12:01:14 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Roman Shtylman<shtylman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I started making some kubuntu slides...but I am not sure if it would
> be best to share the same source tree (I think it would be as much
> functionality can be shared)... anyhow...I didn't want to change too
> much beyond what you guys have without consulting how best to
> co-locate the two slide sets.
>
> What I have so far: (won't make a deb)
>
> lp:~shtylman/ubiquity-slideshow/ubiquity-slideshow-kubuntu
>
> Let me know what you think or if it will be easier to just keep two
> separate copies/trees

I think you're absolutely correct.  We should share a common tree for
both binary packages.  I'm at a loss for why I previously assumed this
would not be the case.

I would suggest continuing with the branch you have and modify the
Makefile to build slides for each package in build/kubuntu and
build/ubuntu, respectively.  Then we can have each install file in the
debian directory pick up slides from each build directory.  Be sure to
account for translations.

Also, if a slide or icon is the same, I would suggest symlinking it
from the ubuntu version.  In the source tree, that is; I don't think
the -kubuntu package should need to depend on the -ubuntu one.  Quite
the opposite, I'd like to make them conflict in the control file.

I do not think we will run into too much difficulty getting this in
post-Feature Freeze (tomorrow), given that we nearly have the ubuntu
version on the CDs.  However, the sooner we get this done the better,
as the longer we take, the more difficult it will be to convince the
release team that it should go in, and the less chance we give the
design, artwork, and documentation teams to improve upon the initial
design.

Thanks for looking into this, and do let me know if you need any help.
 Dylan was the driving force behind the Ubuntu slideshow development
and packaging, so I would suggest soliciting help and advice from him
as well.

Good luck!  Once you're ready, we can look at merging your branch into
trunk, releasing a new version, and filling out the necessary
paperwork to get it into main and on the CDs.