Installer kernel command-line options

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Tue May 6 08:39:24 BST 2008

>As Scott indicated to me off list, this boiled down to missing the .disk/
>directory when copying the ISO.
>
>Scott,
>
>Regarding atv-bootloader, where does the initial bootstrap code sit?  It would
>be great if this first portion of the code was integrated into live disks so
>that it's a smaller barrier to overcome when folks are installing
>onto an AppleTV.

Not sure this is possible, atv-bootloader requires a GPT partitioned
disk with a special GUID that indicates to the AppleTV EFI firmware
-> boot this. Ubuntu/Muthbuntu has no problem with GPT formats
(installing or running) and the small partition that atv-bootloader
lives in can be in any partition order (first, middle, last).

As far as atv-bootloader goes now, it's a simple un-tar and copy
(with boot.efi) into the special partition. We are also working on a
proper disk image that can be "dd" to a USB flash drive to get
initial atv-bootloader boot. Things are still in flux. The "dd" would
get around requiring the patched parted. Hardy already has hfs tools
(hfsprogs) so that does not need to be downloaded/patched and built
anymore.

One could have an iso that they mount, "dd" atv-bootloader disk image
to flash, this disk image would also have a partition to copy the iso
contents into. Once done, boot via atv-bootloader which then
auto-boots the installer. The atv-bootloader disk image is pretty
small right now, 5.8MB. This is a disk image of a 1GB USB flash
drive. ATV-Bootloader lives in a 25MB partition with plenty of room
to spare. The whole process including downloading and extracting
boot.efi could be automated with a pretty simple script.