Installer kernel command-line options

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Tue May 6 07:56:09 BST 2008

Scott D. Davilla wrote:

>> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 14:35 -0400, Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>>>  Where can I find a doc or source files that describes the Ubuntu
>>>  specific kernel command-line options in detail. There's not much
>>>  available via google searchs. This information seems to be difficult
>>>  to find.
>> Assuming you're talking about kernel command line options for the
>> desktop CD, these are not well documented at the moment, so I have
>> started to do so here:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopCDOptions
>>
>> and have linked to it off the main Ubiquity page:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ubiquity
>>

> Thanks, this gets me pointed in the correct direction.
>
> The issue at hand is installing Ubuntu from an iso or iso contents
> placed on a USB flash drive on the AppleTV. I can install fine from a
> USB cdrom. A USB flash install should work as others are doing this
> on conventional PC hardware. The AppleTV is not conventional PC
> hardware (no PC BIOS) but can be made to look like conventional PC
> hardware.
>
> I've created atv-bootloader that handles the boot details and chain
> boots a Linux kernel with small initramfs and it uses kexec to boot a
> "real" kernel. In this case it's the kernel/initrd from the LiveCD
> iso contents.
>
> This does boot but the LiveCD root file system cannot be found and I
> drop to the initramfs prompt. The internal PATA disk and USB flash
> disk are being probed but the Ubiquity/Casper? can't find the root
> file system.
>
> So I'm looking for a command-line param that says "look at /dev/sdb2"
> for the iso or iso contents.
>
> Scott

As Scott indicated to me off list, this boiled down to missing the .disk/
directory when copying the ISO.

Scott,

Regarding atv-bootloader, where does the initial bootstrap code sit?  It would
be great if this first portion of the code was integrated into live disks so
that it's a smaller barrier to overcome when folks are installing onto an AppleTV.

Regards,

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com