[ubuntu-in] An alternative to Gnome 3

Muneeb Shaikh iammuneeb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 08:08:57 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 08:28 AM, Sriranga(78yrsold) wrote:
> DearRam,
> it is observed there are two types (1)cinnamon and (2)muffin - Like to know
> what is difference between two and which is best? It appears that Cinnamon
> can be installed within windows similar to ubuntu? It is presumed it will
> replaced the existing ubuntu with cinnamon and comfortably can work without
> any hitches?. Based on feedsback i want to replace the existing ubuntu
> 11.10 with Chinnamon and work with all appln already installed in ubuntu(I
> hope need not re-install everything from scratch)
> with choicest Blessings,
> -sriranga(79yrs)

Even though this is directed to Ram, I'll take this as a chance to share
whatever I know about this question.

Cinnamon is fork of Gnome Shell, that means Cinnamon is derived from
Gnome Shell. It handles the user interactions with the GUI.
It can, for sure, work simultaneously with Gnome Shell in Ubuntu. You
get an option to choose what you want on Login Screen.

Muffin is again a fork of Mutter, specifically configured/designed for
Cinnamon. It handles the Window Decoration. It's actually a lightweight
window manager. So Muffin is one of the required dependency of Cinnamon,
without which you can't run Cinnamon.

You will get all your applications which you installed, you won't need
to install everything from scratch. So feel free to try it out. :)

Hope that makes it clear. If you still have questions you can ask :)

-- Muneeb Shaikh