[ubuntu-in] Problem in 9.10 (grub wants more space)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 11:38:00 BST 2010

Hi

My original question is below

- so refine the problem - my 100 MB /boot has become over crowded with
kernals and one of the stupidities of the new grub (ver 2) is that it tends
to accumulate all the old kernals.

The solution seems to be here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17787/clean-up-the-new-ubuntu-grub2-boot-menu/

however its a catch 22 situation - i cannot use synaptic (or apt-get) to
uninstall the older kernals - because of that i cannot free up blocked space
and then i comes back to the same state

Question is can i just go into /boot and delete the older kernals manually
and hope that grub will just pick up the latest install ??

maybe i can keep the previous two kernals and hope that it at best shows an
error and then continues to boot

any ideas

ram