[ubuntu-in] Problem in 9.10 (grub wants more space)

K Ramnarayan ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 10:39:47 BST 2010

Hi

Was trying to update my 9.10 install.

Seems like there are some new kernal updates which meant that somethings were
being written to grub.

My Grub is located in a separate /boot parition of about 99 mb

and now i get this message
"Volume Boot has only 698 kb disk space left"

You can free up disk space by removing unused programs or files or by removing
files or programes to another partition or disk.

The problem does not end there itself - all the current updates failed to get
updated and now when i try synaptic i get the following error

"
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report. "

and when i try the
sudo dpkg --configure -a
this is what happens

Setting up initramfs-tools (0.92bubuntu53) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-22-generic-pae

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-22-generic-pae
dpkg: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status
1
-laptop:~$

***
i jave atleast 4 different kernals installed and am not sure how to navigate he
new Grub - its not as easy as earlier and am not sure how to create more space
.(there is a tutorial to move grub but it seems quite dicey to me)

This is affecting my OS performance as some programmes are beginning to crash
or freeze (firefox) and i can't help but think its because of incomplete
updates

so any suggestions advice links would be appreciated.

ram