[ubuntu-in] Problem in 9.10 (grub wants more space)

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:45:15 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> My original question is below
>
> - so refine the problem - my 100 MB /boot has become over crowded with
> kernals and one of the stupidities of the new grub (ver 2) is that it tends
> to accumulate all the old kernals.
>
> The solution seems to be here
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17787/clean-up-the-new-ubuntu-grub2-boot-menu/
>
> however its a catch 22 situation - i cannot use synaptic (or apt-get) to
> uninstall the older kernals - because of that i cannot free up blocked space
> and then i comes back to the same state
>
> Question is can i just go into /boot and delete the older kernals manually
> and hope that grub will just pick up the latest install ??
>
> maybe i can keep the previous two kernals and hope that it at best shows an
> error and then continues to boot

Do you know what grub is? It is boot loader. It does not decide which
kernels to keep and which to remove. It simply lists all the kernels
it finds in /boot in it's menu.

Why can't you use apt-get to remove old kernels? What error do you get?

Did you try using 'sudo dpkg -r packagename' as an alternative?

Onkar