[ubuntu-in] What you want to see in Ubuntu 9.10?

Hardik Dalwadi Hardik.Dalwadi at Ubuntu.com
Tue May 26 21:42:00 BST 2009

on 05/23/2009 11:04 AM Hardeep Singh said the following:
> 1.     I would suggest creating standards for third party installers so
> that all third party softwares that require the user to go to the site
> to download the app, should ensure that the download is available as a
> .deb file that can be installed on a simple double click without
> requiring the user to go to the terminal.

Actually, it is working, for example if you download Adobe Flash (Which
is totally maintained by third party), after successful download it will
open gdebi-gtk, where you can install it from GUI, But let's take the
case of Skype, it will detected by binary file, actually it's not bug of
Ubuntu, but how third party hosting the package.

> 2.     Similarly there should be standards for Themes, Ubuntu should
> have themes available as a package that can be installed on a simple
> double click, something on the lines of .themepack files introduced by
> 7. So that a new user doesn’t get confused with the 10 different ways to
> getting a theme to work.

Let me get more information on that.

> 3.     All the codecs required the run the standard media should be
> available on the installation CD and it should prompt the user during
> installation to install with/without third party codecs. Legally
> speaking, it doesn’t really make a difference if you’re providing the
> codecs on the site or on the CD, if both mediums are being provided by you.

Check [1], [2].

[1] http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/5377/
[2] http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/9656/

Thanks,