[ubuntu-in] How to increase /root partition size in Ubun tu 8.04

Leena leena at itforchange.net
Tue May 19 08:46:08 BST 2009

Hi all,

Is there any way I can increase /root partition's size after
installation, using gparted?
or anyway to change directory for default installation files from /root
to /home"
I have Ubuntu 8.04 in a system having Hard disk of size 40GB.
I used manual partition option and following is how I have parted the disk
/root: 3GB or 3000mb
swap: 1.6GB
/home: remaining (say @36GB)

Now after installation I ran updates. now when I try to install new
program, system giving me following error: "There is no space in /root
and you need to delete some files to save new"

any help on this please....

Thanks,
Leena