[ubuntu-in] How to increase /root partition size in Ubun tu 8.04

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Tue May 19 09:54:38 BST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Leena <leena at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way I can increase /root partition's size after
> installation, using gparted?
> or anyway to change directory for default installation files from /root
> to /home"
> I have Ubuntu 8.04 in a system having Hard disk of size 40GB.
> I used manual partition option and following is how I have parted the disk
> /root: 3GB or 3000mb
> swap: 1.6GB
> /home: remaining (say @36GB)
>
> Now after installation I ran updates. now when I try to install new
> program, system giving me following error: "There is no space in /root
> and you need to delete some files to save new"
>
> any help on this please....
>

> Thanks,
> Leena

Leena,

This is not possible with physical partitioning schemes. If you were using
Logical Volume Management (LVM) this would have been possible.  There could
be a slightly hackish workaround by making a bit-by-bit copy of all
partitions, re-partitioning so that sizes are changed but device volume
numbers are the same (i.e. the partitions have the same naming scheme as
before e.g. /dev/sda1 = /, /dev/sda2 = /home) and then restoring the root
partition back on to the (now larger) partition.

I have tried this on VMWare and it works. However I'm not sure if this is
the best approach for a physical machine.

Regards,

Ritesh