[ubuntu-in] Introduction, Ubuntu member from NJ Loco Team in Delhi

ankur mishra ankurwidguitar at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 17:36:27 BST 2009

Hi!
That guy has Firefox installed in his systems, but that is not much of use. I am in a remote and most backward part of India. The people who go to cyber cafe are mostly students. And there is a significant number of those who have done some simple a-b-c-d type computer courses. These are the people who make Internet explorer their priority and thus that cyber cafe guy. Well, people are becoming aware and I have seen many using FireFox. I also keep on informing people about the differences between IE and FireFox. But we have got to do a lot of work. There is a majority of people who wouldn't believe when you say that there is something similar to and better than IE.
The networking is the simple LAN. But, as he is learning the thing, he just says that everything is very complex. Setting up a LAN would be easy for you and me, but not for him, for the time being. I shall take care of this matter.
You said 'The printing menu is actually much better than Windows once you
get used to it.' This guy is actually not doing much to get used to it. Actually he feels this whole idea of switching crap. Its only my persuasion that is holding his resistance.
There is nothing much Indian connection with the IE. Yes, there are few nationalised banks' websites which allow only IE for the transactions. Well, nobody does banking in a cyber cafe, if at all anybody knows about it. lol Your idea about running IE is great too. IE can be run using Wine too. But I shall make sure that I throw IE out that cyber cafe, and off course bring FireFox in its place.
You have asked about the specs and what people demand here. Please keep it in mind that people here have just a few basic needs. Most of the users come to cyber cafe for surfing internet, and majority of the time they surf either social networking sites or educational sites. People Youtubing are seen a few times. There are also few regualr users who use their computers, not for internet but for spreadsheet or document works. So, in a nutshell, a computer with an office suite, a browser and an OS is enough for the users in my locality.
On Windows the main applications used are IE, MS Office, Yahoo Messenger and Google Talk. If you wish to add some more to this list, you can add Google Earth and Nokia PC Suite. Gaming is kinda uncool in my place. So, cyber cafes have nil demands for games. Also we still haven't got any gaming culture and game parlours in my city.
I shall force him to make FireFox the default web browser in all his systems.
Also, I shall keep you posted about my failures and successes.
Regards
Ankur

 http://ankurwidguitar.blogspot.com