No subject

Wed Aug 26 22:14:35 BST 2009

(last year) they are also interested in big business only
(unforunately)

Some points :-

a. Vivek, I disagree when you say updates not having issues. I have
seen updates and upgrades making users cry. Some of these bugs are
known issues in the release notes and some of them are known couple of
days when people do run the upgrade (in large numbers and find an
issue and report. )

This I have seen atleast in the last 3-4 years where I have been
working/playing with GNU/Linux specifically Ubuntu.

b. Niyam, I would not just say after-sales is an issue, there's also
an pre-sales issue as well.  Please see my trials of trying to buy a
lappy at <shameless plug>
http://issuesaroundme.wordpress.com/2009/08/31/unable-to-get-an-laptop/
</shameless plug>

c. There is also need of lot of awareness building needed for various
applications. Canonical has made a good start with the app store but
I'm afraid its still too little too late :(

d. A good article/blog post about FOSS marketing which does go into
some of the aspects can be found at
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3824046/The-Agony-of-FOSS-Branding.htm

 I am based in Pune, Maharashtra, India.

Btw, have you guys thought of doing something on SFD
(www.softwarefreedomday.org) as well ?
          Shirish Agarwal
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17