[ubuntu-in] Update grub [ boot menu]

Ashraf Ali P K sharali at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 10:32:01 BST 2009

You can restore grub as follows
Boot with a live cd preferably a new version.
In a root terminal type command
*grub*
you will get grub prompt.
*find /boot/grub/stage1*
you will get a list of boot  files as below
(hd0,0)
(hd1,1) etc.. depending on your installation
you have to decide on which partition grub to be installed. If you are to
install in the first hard disks first partition then try the following
*root (hd0,0)*
and then
*setup (hd0)*
quit grub by typing
*quit*
Reboot from from your hard disk by removing live cd. You can see your grub
menu back. You can add your new installation in the menu.lst file if it does
not appear in the list.
For that as root edit   */boot/grub/menu.lst*
Ashraf ali

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Arvind Gupta <arvind.bernaulli at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>    I have just install fedora along ubuntu 9.04. Now I can't see my booting
> menu.
> can anybody tell me that how should I update grub so that my booting menu
> reappears.
>
> Thanks
> -arvind

Ashraf Ali P K