[ubuntu-in] 32-bit version on a amd 64 system!

Biswajit Dutta Baruah indianorthodoc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:13:35 BST 2009

Dear Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that this has been discussed on
this list before.

I admit that 64-bit systems are better than 32-bit systems. But
practically speaking this is not the case. Lack of graphical drivers
that are fully functional is a critical issue for an end-user. Maybe
64-bit systems are incomplete on their software side, but for an
end-user that's just a 64-bit pc. When you say 64-bit is the future, I
presume you say so because we are hitting the 4 GB limit. Otherwise
64-bit systems are lacking and thereby lagging behind 32-bit systems as
far as usage goes.

By the way,  as I  mentioned earlier I hit a roadblock trying to install
the x-86 version of jaunty on an amd 64 compaq laptop. I went ahead and
re-installed an amd-64 version of ubuntu jaunty and everything worked
out of the box.

Biswajit
aka orthodoc