[ubuntu-in] 32-bit version on a amd 64 system!

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:48:34 BST 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Biswajit Dutta Baruah <
indianorthodoc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Bryan,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I was not aware that this has been discussed on
> this list before.
>
> I admit that 64-bit systems are better than 32-bit systems. But
> practically speaking this is not the case. Lack of graphical drivers
> that are fully functional is a critical issue for an end-user. Maybe
> 64-bit systems are incomplete on their software side, but for an
> end-user that's just a 64-bit pc. When you say 64-bit is the future, I
> presume you say so because we are hitting the 4 GB limit. Otherwise
> 64-bit systems are lacking and thereby lagging behind 32-bit systems as
> far as usage goes.

I totally oppose your comment. I am using 64bit since 18 months with nvidia
card (8400GS, 7300GS) on both lappy and Desktop, only once thought of 32bit
was when I found out that Google gears was not available 64bit versions
officially. Other that that, it is an awesome experience throughout.
In tomorrow world RAM plays huge role as more complex software evolve and
4GB should not be the limit for applications, so one has to think of 64bit
and may be even 128bit
As a matter of fact 32bit version of Unix based systems will face Y2K
problem in the year 2038 (approx) so one has to switch to 64bit unless some
other solution is made available.