[ubuntu-in] Localising Kturtle into Kannada in Ubuntu

Pavanaja U B pavanaja at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:52:16 BST 2008

1. KannadaLogo is localised version of MSWLogo which is free (
http://www.softronix.com/logo.html). This has got nothing to do with
Microsoft. Only common thing is that it works on Microsoft Windows. The
Kannada version has already been listed in the Logo Tree -
http://www.elica.net/download/papers/LogoTreeProject.pdf

2. I did all those experiments with .mo and .pot files. I did all those
settings given in the relevant page of Kturtle -
http://edu.kde.org/kturtle/translator.php . It seems those steps are given
for KDE and not for Ubuntu.

Now I need the help for Ubuntu.
Thanks for responding quickly.

Regards,
Pavanaja
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Parthan SR <parth.technofreak at gmail.com>wrote:

> Pavanaja U B wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I have already localised MSWLogo (Windows Logo) into Kannada
> > (http://www.vishvakannada.com/KannadaLogo)
> >
> Did you officially get the permission from the copyright owners of the
> logo before working on a derivative of it? If not, please let them know
> as soon as possible and do not publish or share the modified logo until
> they approve you. Else, you will get caught in a copyright infringement
> deep shit, especially because you are dealing with a MS owned logo.
> > Now I am trying to localise Kturtle into Kannada. I installed Kturtle
> > in Ubuntu. I did translate some of the important commands in
> > Kturtle.po into Kannada and put the file in /locale/kn folder. But I
> > could not see Kannada under settings. How do I go about with my task?
> > What are the step-by-step procoess of localising any application in
> > Ubuntu?
> Applications do not directly read from .po files. They also need to be
> compiled to .mo file and then to a .pot file, after which the
> application might be able to use them. Check out the KTurtle web site on
> any information about localization of the application. Am sure there
> should be pointers. You can also contact the package maintainer in
> Ubuntu for that app.
>
> May be Kartik Mistry can spell more light on the process if he is still
> listening to these list mails ;)
>
> --
> ---
> With Regards,