[ubuntu-in] Localising Kturtle into Kannada in Ubuntu

Parthan SR parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:33:44 BST 2008

Pavanaja U B wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have already localised MSWLogo (Windows Logo) into Kannada
> (http://www.vishvakannada.com/KannadaLogo)

Did you officially get the permission from the copyright owners of the
logo before working on a derivative of it? If not, please let them know
as soon as possible and do not publish or share the modified logo until
they approve you. Else, you will get caught in a copyright infringement
deep shit, especially because you are dealing with a MS owned logo.
> Now I am trying to localise Kturtle into Kannada. I installed Kturtle
> in Ubuntu. I did translate some of the important commands in
> Kturtle.po into Kannada and put the file in /locale/kn folder. But I
> could not see Kannada under settings. How do I go about with my task?
> What are the step-by-step procoess of localising any application in
> Ubuntu?
Applications do not directly read from .po files. They also need to be
compiled to .mo file and then to a .pot file, after which the
application might be able to use them. Check out the KTurtle web site on
any information about localization of the application. Am sure there
should be pointers. You can also contact the package maintainer in
Ubuntu for that app.

May be Kartik Mistry can spell more light on the process if he is still
listening to these list mails ;)

--
---
With Regards,